Some smart moves can help make your dream vacation a reality.
After months of cold temperatures and piles of snow, summer may seem out of reach, but it isn’t. And neither is a well-deserved summer vacation—if you start saving now, budget accordingly and plan how to cut costs while on your getaway.
No matter what your preferred destination is for warmer weather, you have to be smart. Because summer can be a popular time to travel, especially for families, rates and costs can be more expensive.
Use these strategies to plan a stress-free summer vacation with limited funds, but unlimited potential for fun:
- Determine how much you will need to save each week in order to pay for your trip, including food, lodgings, transportation and any entertainment you want to enjoy while away. Set up an automatic weekly deposit of that amount into an earmarked account.
- Set up a “Vacation Jar,” where you and your travel companions can drop leftover change and bills. Little by little, this jar can quickly fill up!
- Measure tempting purchases against your dream vacation. You may want that new handbag now, but don’t you want to be able to pay for that daytime sail later?
When you arrive at your destination, don’t forget about saving, no matter how relaxed you are:
- Take advantage of the continental breakfast offerings at your hotel.
- Try out nicer restaurants for lunch, rather than dinner, when entrees are less expensive.
- Book accommodations with cooking facilities so you can prepare some meals on your own and keep drinks and snacks refrigerated.
- Always keep an eye out for free activities at your hotel or around your destination.