Contact Us 571-386-1000



Talk with your agent to be sure your policy suits your needs.

Thinking of buying a new home or remodeling or redecorating the one you already own? It might be a good time to take a look at your homeowner’s coverage, according to the Insurance Information Institute. In fact, you should review your coverage at least once per year even if you’re not considering major changes. Here are the basics on what your homeowner’s insurance should cover. Talk to your insurance agent about whether you need to change your current coverage.

The physical structure of your home
With fluctuating real estate prices, it’s understandable if homeowners are uncertain about the value of their homes. Your insurance should cover the cost of rebuilding your home at current construction costs, but not the cost of the land. This is not the same as the purchase price of your home. Ask your insurance or real estate agent to help you calculate the cost of replacement based on square footage. Also consider the cost of replacing anything you’ve added, such as a custom kitchen, new windows and other improvements.
Your personal possessions
To know whether you have enough homeowners insurance coverage for your possessions, conduct a home inventory. Document everything you own and what it would cost to replace it. Given that many homeowner’s policies set the limit based on a percentage of the replacement cost of the home, if you have very valuable items such as jewelry or artwork, ask your agent about a rider or floater to cover them.
Additional living expenses
If your home is damaged, you’ll need somewhere else to live while it’s being repaired, so you’ll need coverage for the cost of rent or hotel bills, restaurant meals and other living expenses. If you rent out part of your home, you should consider making sure your homeowners policy covers the lost income. Many policies include this coverage as a standard amount, but if you need more coverage, you may be able to buy an additional policy.
Homeowner’s policies may provide coverage in the event you, your pet or anyone in your family injure or cause property damage to someone else, wherever it occurs. The coverage may help reimburse you for court costs and may pay damages if there’s a lawsuit. Most policies provide basic liability coverage, but you can add to it with umbrella or excess liability coverage.

To determine the right coverage for you, talk to your agent, and provide as much detailed information as possible. Together, you can work to help you get the policy you need.
Posted 9:54 AM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive

View Mobile Version


Our Company Services Contact Us More Help

Who We Are
Join Our Team
Customer Service
Get A Quote
Certificate of Insurance
Financial Services
Herndon Office
Manassas Office
Falls Church Office
Take Our Survey
Frequently Asked Questions
News Center
Secure Client Portal Access
GET SOCIAL WITH US Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ YouTube
847 Station St | Herndon, VA 20170 | 571-386-1000 Powered by Insurance Website Builder

Affordable Care Act Identity Theft Earthquake Coverage Get A Quote